Sections

Friday, July 6, 2012

Possible Higgs?!

Possible Higgs
I'm speechless....

How to explain this?

Well, in physics we have something called the "Standard Model" which defines all basic particles in the universe as we know it.  The standard model predicted many particles before they were confirmed.  The Higgs particle is the only one that has not been found.

This is one of the main reasons we (mankind) built the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).  The LHC is a particle accelerator, the largest in the world.  The size is important when colliding particles because the particles will have a longer distance to gain more energy before colliding.  All other particle accelerators failed to produce the Higgs particle before the LHC.  Now the LHC may have found it.  As always in science though, more tests are needed to reproduce the results.  But this could really mean a lot to the physics world.


I know this explanation is rather weak right now, and I apologize.  When I have time I will write a thorough post about the Higgs that I hope everyone can understand.

But before I do that one, I still need to work on that fire blog!  I have remembered it.  It is coming.  Expect it soon!

And as always, feel free to contact me with questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment